This old expression for something obvious being ignored has a new take away from Mad Magazine.
“The only reason a great many American families don’t own an elephant is that they have never been offered an elephant for a dollar down and easy weekly payments.”
That says something about debt in the US.
If you are in debt, there is plenty of advice out there. I like Dave Ramsey’s advice (DaveRamsey.com) which I have included in the following:
1. immediately save $1000 for emergencies even if you have to sell something,
2. pay the smallest debt balance first,
3. create a budget using your previous expenses,
4. create envelopes of cash and pay from them,
5. eliminate duplicate insurance policies,
6. immediately pay your credit card balance if possible,
7. cut the cable or satellite cord via Chromecast or Amazon Fire,
8. build up an emergency fund to last 6 months.
You too can tackle that elephant.
Best of luck!